Monday, September 21, 2009

Letter to Sophia....

Sophia kindly emailed me for information about my 'petite maison', but for some unknown reason all my replies she could not recieve, so I shall reply in an 'open-letter'.

Sophia was anxious to learn where I purchased my 'petite maison', was it a kit or did I have it built to my design......???

Hello Sophia,
Thank you so very much for the email, so pleased that you are enjoying my blog.
My 'petite maison' is totally designed, built and made by none other than myself!!! I searched for a very long time for a house that I was prepared to use, but could not find any that I was happy with, either too childish, or not the right size, proportions, lay-out etc. that I wanted. So the only thing left for me to do was make my own.
I have drawn the plans, something that took quite some time to do, as I wanted a French style, but the proportions had to be correct, then it took me a long time to source available windows and exterior details.
I designed the shaped roof, made every single roof tile, added every piece of timber to the exterior and designed and made the detail that divides the upper rooms from the roof....all made with stripwood. I made the exterior front steps, plus the chinmeys etc......All in all a lot of thought and time, not to mention the hard work that has gone into what you see so far. I have been working on it for about 5 years and am proud to say that I am getting to the completion of this project.
The interior has also been a lot of work, I make all the individual floor tiles, make the wall panelling etc. all with timber...it just goes on and on. Most of the furniture I have made from kits, painted etc..the pieces that are not kits, I have repainted and recovered. I have purchased things from all over the world for the house, windows from France, exterior details from England....way to hard to remember all!! If you work your way through my blog you will see progress of the house.
So, sorry to say, I did not purchase my house from anywhere.....nothing so easy!!! Just a lot of thought, imagination and lots and lots of time!!!
Thank you for the photos of your doll house, it is very nice and such a large project also. I wish you well with the house you are working on and look forward to seeing your progress!

Kindest Regards,
Linda.



I make a point where possible to reply to all emails and information request....but this one did prove to be a little more difficult. Do hope you don't mind Sophia that I had to answer your email in this manner.

9 comments:

Bear cabin miniatures said...

It is a beautiful house and I always read your blog and marvel at your photos, they are wonderful.
I will also be taking time to start at the begininig and look through your previous posts to see the progress of your house.
Keep inspiring us, Julia :0)

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

Truly a labor of love and magnificent! Hugs, Marsha

rosanna said...

Thank you for the new lovely pic of the facade. I have allowed myself 10 years to build and furnish my Casa Rossa. You give me much more faith having done yours in a "mere" 5 years. I love the way you work. Mini hugs

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

Your always so kind Linda to answer everyone. I have such admiration for a miniaturist that can stick to one project as you have done and work through it from beginning to end . Not like me that gets distracted and works on several at a time. I supppose we all work differently. But doing it your way you get to see results step by step and its such fun! Dare I ask, if you are coming to the end, do you have a second project in mind already to tempt us all with ?? lol Kate xx

Claudia said...

You are always so generous with helpful information and respond to everyone - I can attest to this!

I love this house and everything in it.

PAKY said...

Your maison looks like very professional, it's a great and a wonderful work!

MiniLover said...

Linda, thank you so much for your "open letter." I cannot for the life of me figure out why our emails do not go through.

That said, your house is truly beautiful and unique and you should be very, very proud of it. It is clear that you have lavished time, attention and love on such a stunning house.

I am glad to know that there are others who seek out the best artisans no matter where they are. I, too, have been collecting miniatures from all over the world and they fill my house today (not to mention the boxes stashed in the attic of my real house; I know I will use them someday, somewhere!). I hope we will figure out a way to correspond because it would be fun to share tips and finds.

Kind regards,

Sophia

Linda Carswell said...

Sophia....such a relief that you finally have a responce to your email! Yet again, just yesterday I had another email returned that I sent you....very strange!!?? It would be great to keep intouch...we just have to work-out how.
Regards, Linda

Victoria said...

5 years to build from scratch, it's mind-blowing! I'm building from scratch too, guess it's day... 60 or 70, but to create something truly beautiful I'd love to spend 5 years too.:)